Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Classroom Guilt

I sit lonely among my friends,
The soothing drone of His voice
Engulfs the class in a haze 
Of misty calm and balmy lull.
A familiar consciousness this,
Of body here and mind where!
Yawning gap most unfathomable 
Betwixt ought-to lessons 
And want-to thoughts.
Hold it there, I wont fight thee.

Charged with guilt anxious
Pregnant with colours delicious
My brain paints on the canvas
Of the world most spacious.
Running on ridges,
Plunging from precipices,
Rafting rivers, caving caverns;
The sun is my torch,
A purse full of stars, 
I am Wanderlust Extraordinaire.

The mist breaks, class over?
Not yet, The Nerd Speaketh, oh!
Scraggy face, bright eyes,
Croaky voice, polished glasses,
Subtle doubt, Pertinent point;
Reverie ripped, reluctantly awake
I grope for a proper mask -
I nod for Him, honed stratagem,
My facade isn't transparent;
The Harp rewounded, sweet clouds return.

Catch me fantasizing,
Of a Venus seen somewhere.
A guilt within a guilt
Throbbing pulse of desire.
Eyes wide open I keep dreaming!
Matters most pressing fly in
From somewhere, Set me thinking
On paths I shall require,
Fantasy to Reality all in my dream
Class is over, now - Wakefulness' slipstream!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Please translate it in English for us. ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeevanjyoti Chakraborty said...

I don't know whether I should be doing this interpreting my own poem but...

First Stanza: I am trying to build up the setting...I am sitting in class while a boring lecture is going on; there pervades an atmosphere of sleepiness...I am caught between the dilemma of my duty to listen to the lecture and to give in to the temptation of dreaming about thoughts I really want to think - a dilemma I "resolve" by giving into the temptation!

Second stanza: I consciously tried to keep the tone energetic in this stanza (in direct contrast to the lethargic tone of the first stanza)...to evoke the feel of my power of imagination even in my dream-like state. The world is my canvas...and I can think anything of anything I want to...even as I am sitting in the classroom...I become an adventurer, a traveler..."Wanderlust Extraordinaire" is a concocted personification of the feelings into who I imagine myself to be.

Third Stanza: My reverie is broken just as one of the nerds (every class has a few of them) asks something to the teacher...this unanticipated break in my stream of thoughts...catches me slightly off guard...and I frantically try to put the appearance (in front of the teacher) to show that I have been following the lecture and that I am interested in the "pertinent point" raised by the nerd...but I am a seasoned practitioner ("honed stratagem") of this art of putting up a facade of interest...one that "isn't transparent"...just as the teacher returns to his boring talk...I return to my daydreaming..."sweet clouds return"

Fourth Stanza: (To those who personally know me...the first four lines might seem somewhat surprising...but hey I AM a boy) I catch myself fantasizing about some beautiful girl/woman, maybe a movie actress etc...even within the guilt of not paying attention in class...this feels like another guilt...As I keep dreaming...everyday concerns...things that matter...come into my thoughts...I start wondering about my future...what I am going to do etc. ...thus even in my dreams, my subconscious...my reality jostles with my fantasy for attention...finally as class is over...I come back to a state of wakefulness...which is an altogether different stream of consciousness.

This comment is longer than the original post, I guess!

Unknown said...

Went through your interpretation .
Gautam kumar er comment ta copy and paste korlam.

RjR said...

Excellent work... this is something that every college student can relate to.. something that everyone of us has experienced ever so often.. though maybe without so much of the guilt :)